What are the Advantages to Linux Web Hosting?
* Stability: Linux/Unix operating systems are very stable and robust. A web site housed on a Linux operating system will excellent up-time (of the order of 99.9%). Of course, other factors such as power supply, network operating center, and network load etc. also matter when it comes to maintaining the system uptime.
* Cost Effective: With Linux OS, there are no licensing fees as opposed to it's competitors. The Linux OS comes free of cost (or at very insignificant cost, usually cost of distribution). Free server applications such as FTP, Web Server, DNS Server, and File Server are also very stable. PLETH recommends the PLESK™ Control Panel (which does require licensing) for all of our web hosting accounts simply because it adds usability and flexibility to our clients. (see additional PLESK™ Control Panel information below)
* Compatibility: All types of file extensions (or scripts) can be used when using Linux web server. Commonly, the following extensions are supported: .cgi, .html, .htm, .pl, .php, .shtml, .asp (requires additional plug-in), .xml, and others as well as support for Microsoft Frontpage Extensions.
* Portability and Scalability: A web site designed to be hosted on a Linux based web server can be hosted on a Windows web server easily, where as the reverse is not always true. This provides flexibility for future growth.
* Most widely used and supported: Linux/Unix based web hosting is by far the most widely used OS in comparison to Windows based web hosting, and technical support can be a lot easier to locate should it be required.
* Scalability: A web site is dynamic. Usually, a web site starts with a few pages of html and grows over a period of time to suit our customers requirements. It is preferable to design a web site keeping this requirements in mind. A web site designed for compatibility with a Linux/Unix based web server meets the scalability requirement easily without making any site wide design changes.